Sunday, January 4, 2009

Round 10 Of Chemotherapy To Start The New Year

Let me start by wishing everyone a Happy New Year. The holidays went by so quickly this year and thankfully I was feeling good enough to enjoy them. After my last round of chemotherapy, the ER visit for my fever, and the blood transfusion I felt better than I have felt in a long time. We spent Christmas Day at Marissa’s sister’s house with her family. Friday, December 26 Marissa and I spent preparing for the arrival of my family. I felt so well that I cleaned out our garage, the inside and outside of our car, and helped with the housework, and believe it or not I actually enjoyed being able to clean.

My sister Lori, her husband Steve, and my other sister’s son, Hunter, arrived on Saturday, December 27. This was the first time they had ever been to our house and for a visit to Atlanta. That evening I took Hunter to the Ferrari dealership so he could see them up close and in person. Then we all went downtown to Centennial Olympic Park which was still lit up for Christmas with outdoor ice skating. We showed them a little bit more of downtown Atlanta, and ate at Felini’s Pizza, one of Marissa and my favorites.

Sunday, December 28 my brother Frankie, his wife Doris, and Hunter’s brother Dawson arrived. Marissa and Lori spent most of the day cooking for our big meal that night which we all enjoyed upon Frankie’s arrival. We spent the rest of the night digesting our food and relaxing at our house.

Monday, December 29 we all went to the aquarium downtown. We spent most of the day there as it was so crowded. We had a great time at the aquarium and viewing the Titanic exhibit they had there. Lori and Steve left after the aquarium to head back home, they both had to work on Tuesday. We all ate at Chili’s for lunch at 5:30 pm (which was more like dinner) because traffic was so bad that this was the first opportunity we had to eat. After that we all went back to our house and hung out. We were all pretty warn out from our long day.

Frankie, Doris, Dawson, and Hunter all left the next afternoon, Tuesday, December 30. The rest of the day Marissa and I spent taking down Christmas decorations and packing for our trip to Houston.

Wednesday, December 31 we rang in the New Year while driving to Houston. We arrived in Houston Thursday, January 1. We went out to dinner with Gary that night, and he allowed us to stay with him again at his hotel.

Friday, January 2 I had lab work and a chest xray and then met with Dr. Trent. We discussed my fever from the last round and were told that it could have potentially been a life threatening situation. That being said we have decided to stay in Houston until my blood counts return to normal after this round of chemotherapy. We are also going to be meeting with a surgeon while we are here to discuss surgical options. Back in November Marissa and I sent my medical records and scans to a pediatric surgeon in New York at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Dr. LaQuaglia is a highly renowned surgeon who specializes in Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumor resections. Dr. LaQuaglia reviewed my records and scans and feels that I am a good candidate for surgery. We are very pleased that surgery seems to be a fast approaching option. That being said, it also brings about new concerns, frustrations, and worries. After discussing this with Dr. Trent he recommended a pediatric surgeon at MD Anderson named Dr. Hayes-Jordan. Marissa and I will meet with her during this visit to compare surgeons and all of our options.

I began my 10th round of chemotherapy Friday night at about 4 am. I will be on my 5th dose tonight(Sunday, January 4) with 2 more to go for a total of 7 doses. I will finish Tuesday morning, and will probably be released on Wednesday the 7th or Thursday the 8th of January. Then it is just a matter of my counts returning to normal. Hopefully I will not experience another fever, but if I do at least I am in Houston under Dr.Trent’s care.

We go home only briefly before having to return to Houston for scans January 22. These scans are very important as they will tell exactly how the new chemo is working, as well as depict how soon my surgery will be. We thank everyone for their support and continue to ask for prayers for healing as well as for guidance on all of our upcoming decisions.


  1. Bradley, please keep us posted on when you're coming back to ATL. Amanda and I would love to bring you guys dinner or something and finally catch up in person!

  2. Bradley and Marissa: Glad that you guys made it safely to Houston.You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Love, mom

  3. Bradley & Marissa,
    As you go through this treatment, remember that many people are continually uplifting you in prayer. May this knowledge give you strength as you anticipate better days to come. We understand you have some important decisions to make, and we are praying for the Holy Spirit to empower you with wisdom in making those decisions. May God's love and peace surround and encourage you every moment. We love you.

    Blessings & prayers,
    David & Beverly

  4. Bradley and Marissa,
    Can't wait for you to come back home! 10 long are a real trooper. We are praying for you and are glad you have 2 good surgeons willing and able to see you through this. We love you both!

  5. 1-15-09-Bradley, Just wanted to say that we think of you often and pray for God's miraculous healing for you and strength, courage, and peace and rest for you and Marisa. Love, Mrs. Kathy

  6. hi glad to here you are feeling better and getting things ready for this surgery our thoughts and our prayers will be with you and your family from trimble wishing you all the best