After reading the post from last night, I thought that I should make a post of clarifications. It was brought to my attention that it seems I have lost all faith in the medical system. While that may be true to some extent, last night’s post was more of a way to vent and show some frustration. I believe that I am at least partially to blame for my delayed diagnosis. Obviously, anyone showing symptoms for a year who has failed to seek medical attention does not have the right to complain that the medical system is slow to react.
As anyone who has spoken with me since I received this diagnosis will attest, I could not have a more positive outlook on my future. Clearly, with such a positive outlook, I believe that my doctors can and will provide me with the best treatment that is available.
Dr. Sharma, my family care physician, has been absolutely wonderful. She personally calls me or Marissa 3 or 4 times per day, just to see how I am feeling or to see if there is anything that she can do. I have never had this kind of attention from anyone in the healthcare industry, and I absolutely cannot thank her enough for all that she has done.
I received a comment from “Mary” on my previous post with some incredibly helpful information. Mary, if you are reading this, would you please send me an email so that I may ask some questions? Thank you.
Just as an update, we are still waiting to hear from MD Anderson Cancer Center. They are supposed to call me or Dr. Sharma sometime today. Dr. Sharma submitted all of the necessary forms for referral on Tuesday, May 27. Marissa also completed the documents for “self-referral” just in case. Both referral forms said that we should get a phone call within 72 hours to schedule an appointment. Dr. Sharma said that she would call today to check the status, as we are obviously very anxious to hear from them. I will make a post about this as soon as I receive that telephone call.
I had my PET scan performed this morning. I assume that everything went well. The radiologist will need time to interpret the results, and then hopefully Dr. Sharma will call me to discuss the results. If she doesn’t, I will have to wait until my next oncology appointment with Dr. Sarma on June 9. The MRI’s are still scheduled for Monday morning, and of course, if I receive any results from these tests, they will be posted.
Thanks again for checking in on the blog. And thank you for all of your prayers.